Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Robert Piguet Visa Re-Issue

The inability to access the internet and post a review on Monday and Tuesday allowed more time to wear this fragrance and explore its nuances. How I wish I had taken time to test this at Bergdorf Goodman, the same morning I met its creator Aurelien Guichard, for I would have snatched up a full bottle in a heartbeat. This gourmand/oriental begins smelling like many others on the market and ends with unique beauty and depth.

Mr. Guichard has also created the spicy-sweet Bond No. 9 Chinatown. Chinatown features an interesting peach accord contrasted with spices. Thus, it is very likely he favors the fuzzy fruit and enjoys experimenting with it, for Visa builds upon it as well. The original Visa launched in 1945 and has been described as an aldehydic (sparkling) floral. Although I have not sniffed the original, I am certainly glad Visa has been re-issued as I proudly declared it my #2 favorite scent from 2007.

The opening of this stunning fragrance screams fruity-floral, thus the reason it may be perceived as yet another mass marketed, for the younger less discerning nose fragrance. White vineyard peaches, pear, violet, Italian bergamot and mandarin essences give it pizzaz and piquancy. Not to fear, however. This "just like the umpteen others" stage is very short-lived. The second stage involves that same luscious peach, along with ylang essences, rose, immortelle (everlasting flowers) and orange flower absolutes. Think rich, as in a dessert overflowing with sauce and cream, and detailed as in an intricate pattern, and you will nearly capture how gorgeous it is, but not quite. Rather than the lighthearted and sparkling fruits of the top, this heart is much richer, darker and decadent. The listing of notes, as on a sheet of music, simply gives the wearer an idea. The magic lies in playing them and in this case, the melody inspires and moves the wearer. If you have ever experienced chills down your spine following a perfectly performed number at a concert or musical performance, you will understand the beauty to which I am referring. Amping up those qualities, the leather accord at the lower base, along with sandalwood, Indonesian patchouli, vetiver and vanilla beans saves the best for last. The addition of vanilla and leather catapult the fragrance into the warm and snuggly category; the progression is akin to devouring a delicious dessert and then diving under a soft blanket while being caressed by your beloved.

Visa has some similarities to Thierry Mugler's Angel but I find it much more wearable and likeable. Nonetheless, for those who enjoy Angel, Visa is a must try. For all others, the fragrance promises a more richly composed and sophisticated fruity-floral with a gourmand and oriental base. I picture the person wearing this much like the press release for Visa, a very well-traveled sophisticate who desires to wear a fragrance "reminiscent of all the places she visits and sights she sees." A beautiful concept for certain. In this case, it fits.

Robert Piguet Visa is available at Bergdorf Goodman in New York, Le Bon Marche in Paris and Harvey Nichols in London. The EDP retails for $65-$95 and the parfum is $190 for 1 ounce.

Advertisement from Okadi

8 comments:

Divina said...

What a coincidence that I got to smell Visa for the first time a day before you posted your review, on Tuesday! Unfortunately, it was at the end of a very long sniffathon together with a friend with just about no skin space saved and all sorts of smells competing for attention to the point of sensory overload. (yeah, I can NEVER keep to the 3 max rule...never-ever!) So I am afraid Visa did not get the try-out it deserved, but I indeed was a little disappointed by the initial fruity burst so I must admit I did not pay that much attention. Having read your beautiful review, I will certainly give it the time it deserves to develop!

xx,
Divina

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Hello D.,

Oh, I feel your pain my friend. I don't know that I've ever heard of the 3 max rule and therefore I've never followed it. I had fragrances up and down both arms at the Sniffa in October. That is probably the reason I didn't give Visa its due either. Let me know how your second testing goes.

xo,
T

tmp00 said...

I've been dying to try this one but I think it's only at Bergdorfs and not at Neimans, damn their eyes...

priscilla said...

Oh, I thought about trying this, but I don't know. I fear the peach! And I cannot tell a lie: I LOATHE Chinatown. If this were anything close to it, having the same creator...but you do make this sound so pretty!

What's a girl to do? ;)

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Tom,

Too bad you weren't with us at the Sniffa. You would have been charmed by both the fragrance and the creator! It is at Bergdorf's only, unfortunately. Maybe Neiman's will carry it soon?

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Green Eyes,

Sometimes I love Chinatown and sometimes I can't wear it, depending upon my mood. Visa is a completely different story. I always like it, no matter what! And don't let the peach scare you. It really isn't completely prominent. It's there, but so many other things are as well. :-)

Anonymous said...

My name is Stacey and I'm the Social Media Manager at a new beauty website, Total Beauty. I'd love to talk to you about your blog joining our blogroll and becoming a part of our community. If you'd like some more information, please contact me at Stacey@TotalBeauty.com. Looking forward to hearing from you.

ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Thank you Stacey. I really appreciate your interest!